Some Tips for the security of your data in Office 365
Many companies in the world, especially the SMEs, have migrated to Office 365 because, rather than accessing the basic applications package for document editing, it came to solve the old problem of sharing large files thanks to SharePoint Online. In addition, it has the added value of having a OneDrive space not only to store files, but also to recover them in case of disaster.
Office 365, with the Exchange Online solution, also proved that it was easier than ever to have a business email with shared calendars, voicemail and unified messaging, 50GB mailboxes and Skype for Business Online for videoconferences.
Office 365, as a SaaS model, is certainly very attractive because it outsources functions as necessary as daily operation, maintenance, security and software support. But, beware! because moving to the Cloud does not mean that you should completely neglect the security of your data and even Backups.
Microsoft makes traditional Backups of Office 365 servers, but these Backups are used for internal purposes only. Moreover, as Exchange Server and SharePoint are hosted in the Cloud, traditional backup applications cannot be used to make Backups in Office 365.
Although Office 365 guarantees application management, you should keep the following practices in mind to ensure the security of your data:
- Periodically monitor Phishing risks: Even if your applications are hosted in the Cloud, always try to maintain continuous monitoring services. Also set up spam filters because they reduce a possible bombardment through emails, which continue to be the main gateway for these types of threats.
- Try to have visibility over the most sensitive data of your business to control any possible leak on Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business.
- Always control the management of your users and passwords.
- Check the effectiveness of the protection of your equipment.
- Review the information and stored files.
- Avoid re-routing of MX traffic that adds latency rates.
Office 365 has made companies implement business mobility more openly because employees, in addition to using their own equipment, can access to corporate information in the Cloud and to the internal data sources of the organization. However, using it in the wrong way can become a great challenge to security.
Keep in mind that the Cloud solves many problems of data management, storage and recovery, but make sure you always have visibility of everything that happens in this environment.
If you still have a few minutes, learn in our YouTube channel
How to install a 3CX Phone System in Debian Linux from an ISO image?